I make this dish all the time because it's pretty easy and it contains all of my favorite things! I usually mix up the different sauces according to how I feel that day. The more sauces the better!
2 packages whole wheat orzo (15 oz each)
1 yellow onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
2 bell peppers (red and green) chopped in 1/2" squares
1 package Italian Field Roast Sausage - use all four links and chop into half moons (definitely do not substitute for any other seitan!)
2 zucchini chopped into half moons
1/2 container cherry tomatoes chopped in half
1/2 jar marinara
1 recipe pumpkin seed pesto (recipe below)
1 jar artichoke antipasto (trader joes)
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
Pumpkin Seed Pesto Recipe
3/4 cups pumpkin seeds
1 cup fresh basil packed down
3/4 cup olive oil
1 TB sea salt
2 garlic cloves
1 TB lemon juice
1. Start cooking orzo as instructed on package. Put hot orzo in large bowl when done. At the same time make the filling and pesto.
2. Heat skillet to high and and 2TB olive oil for frying. Once hot, add onion and garlic. Heat a couple minutes until onions are translucent, then add seitan. Cook seitan until browned on both sides. Add in zucchini, bell peppers and lower heat to medium mix everything together and cover. Mix every minute to make sure nothing sticks or burns. Cook about 5-7 minutes and turn off heat.
3. Pesto - Put all ingredients in blender. Done.
4. Mix your fillings with the orzo. Top with the pesto and mix in thoroughly. Add in marinara, chopped tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and antipasto. Add all sauces to taste.
5. Grab a scoop in each bowl, top with slices of avocado.