Here are my 6 things on how to do Rome, Italy:
Where to...(from a frugal vegan's point-of-view):
- Stay: Monti (or City Centre). Monti is the new hipster neighborhood of Rome, but we stayed near Termini station in the City Centre and were very happy with the transit, food, and sights all around us.
- Eat: So What? Ops! and Romeow. I can't pick one because there are so many amazing restaurants. Do So What! for a cheaper but spectacular meal, do Ops! for a buffet style, and do Romeow for the fine dining and kitties.
- Drink: Italian Wine. Everywhere has amazing wine, so you don't have to seek it out. Go to the above restaurants and ask for their wine pairing. Everyone knows their wine!
- Walk: Tiber River. This is one of the most beautiful walks. Watch above for the lush trees, look over the river to the Vatican, and watch a sunset on the many bridges. Take a walk into a random neighborhood and explore!
- Shop: NaturaSi. This was a natural grocery store that had everything we needed. We tried going to the vegan shops, but they had short hours. Great for picnic shopping when heading to Villa Borghese.
- See/do: Definitely see the kitty ruins (Torre Argentina), get a pistachio soy gelato from almost anywhere, and rent a Vespa to risk your life (gleefully) through the city streets or the ancient street Apian Way with My Vespa Tours. Vegan in Italy posts...
For a longer review of Italy, check out my other posts: Vegan in Italy